_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, September 8

Okay, in my previous review of Wuthering Heights, I mentioned the couture-inspired design for the cover of the book.  I feel that I should bring to light this illustrator and encourage everyone to pick up the three books designed by this man, Ruben Toledo.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Scarlett Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Who is Ruben Toledo you might ask?  And why does he stand out in the literary world?  Mainly he stands out as he is not from the literary world in the least.  He is in fact from the fashion industry.  Ruben’s has had drawings appear in high-fashion magazines such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, and Visionaire.  Which explains why these books do not look like an ordinary book cover and completely stand out from most books on the shelves today.  I say, thank goodness someone understands how to sell a book.  Does the cover not say everything?  Isn’t it similar to first impressions last?  Don’t most women enjoy fashion?  And if not fashion than at least art?  Why a publishing house would want to put covers on a book that look like a Private Label version of Mac & Cheese is beyond me.
So where might you find these illustrations of these classics?  They are with the Penguin Classics of Penguin Books.  You can search online of course.  But, Powell’s Books at www.powells.com has them.  Or, and you won’t believe this, you can find them at Borders.  I encourage everyone to at least find them in a bookstore and check them out for yourselves.  Seeing them in person will definitely change your opinion about these classics.  I, in fact, am hoping Ruben Toledo will illustrate more than just these three.  But for now, I am enjoying these, as I hope you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment